Friday, November 5, 2010

From Crowns to Deer.

Well I warned y’all from the beginning….Blogging is going to be a hit or miss thing with me. So here is an overview of what I’ve been doing while not blogging. As of a couple of weeks ago, I moved from Account Manager of Group Sales over to the Marketing Department at Homeland HealthCare. So you are looking at the new Marketing Assistant/Graphic Designer! Hoo-ray!  God truly takes care of my every need in life…I just need to get better at being patient and trust in His timing with things- not my own! Easier said then done right? :)

So on that note- I love my job. I get to go to work….sit in front of a huge Mac computer…pop in my headphones and let the creative juices flow till 5. I feel very lucky to be the place I am right now.

Two weekends ago, Tyler and I made the trip up to Arkadelphia for my first Alumni OBU Homecoming weekend! It was such a surreal feeling coming back to the place that I called home for four years. The experience I had at Ouachita could be an entire blog posts on its own so I won’t go into that JUST yet. But being back “at home” was just what I needed that weekend.  It was so good spending time and laughing with some of my best friends who I hadn’t seen in a long time. Isn’t it funny how you can go months or even years without seeing people and then the moment you find yourself with them- its like no time had ever passed in the first place? We all have gone through so many changes within a short amount of time but the moment we all walked onto that campus-it was like we had never graduated.


With homecoming weekend comes homecoming traditions and this includes one of my obsessions: TIGER TUNES. Much like Baylor Sing or Song Fest at A&M, Tiger Tunes is put on by the social clubs and about 6-8 Host and Hostesses. This year I had two of my friends performing as Host and Hostesses, Cortnie “Diva” DeVore and Ben “Stud Muffin” Reeves. My brother performed in the Beta show as a Hillbilly and my EEE girls performed with the theme “Ring by Spring”! They all did an amazing job and I was so impressed with everybody’s performance! During the entire show I was mentally living in the past and pondering on the days of being a Hostess and getting way to stressed out about the E shows….I have no shame admitting that. :) 

                                     



This past weekend, I went to the ranch with Tyler’s family for the big Deer Darting Weekend! This is the weekend where Tyler tags all the fawns and places them in different pins for breeding purposes. But don’t be fooled by the simplicity of that statement because darting deer is probably one of the most tedious things I’ve ever done. Try making a herd of deer stand still and get exactly where you want them for more then 15 seconds….Its nearly impossible. The first couple hours Friday night were a little stressful. First, Tyler shot 2 different deer and after about 10 minutes both deer weren’t showing any signs that the tranquillizer was working. Not only were we having darting problems but also the mule we were driving in decided to have a dead battery in the middle of the deer pin…in the pitch dark…with no flashlights. Needless to say, everybody was a little frustrated at this point.  But thankfully we got everything worked out and by 4:30 that morning we had darted about half of the fawns.





Now a lot more goes into this darting process then just simply darting. Once you hit the deer with the day, you have to be patient and wait for the deer to actually pass out. Watching deer stumble around is probably one of the funnier things I’ve seen in a long time. Once the deer are down, you have to tie their legs up and put a blindfold over there eyes. We would then take them to barn where they would get a tag in one ear, tattoo into the other, weigh them and give them 3 different kind of shots. Tyler would then yank out a chuck of hair for DNA purposes. All I say can is.. I am glad I am not a deer. Their ears had to be sore the next day! After all that is done, you load them back up in the mule and take them to different pins depending on there gender. Now- you cant just dump these sweet things anywhere. Apparently- you have to place them by the fence line so they don’t wake up freaking out not knowing where they are… Who knew deer were so smart?? Tyler was making fun of me because while they were laying the deer down…I was following behind him moving the rocks out of the way. I mean would you want to sleep on rocks for a night?! Mr. Toney would then give them 3 different shots that were the “reversals” and within minutes they would wake up and run off.


                                    

The 2nd night of deer darting I peaced out around midnight and thankfully so because the guys were up to 6 AM trying to dart the big bucks.

So there ya go. Now your all caught up on what I’ve been doing lately.  From Miss OBU crowns to darting deer….Life is good- I cant complain much. I am a lucky girl. 


Keep it Classy all you OBU kiddos and Deer Lovers. 

3 comments:

  1. i had never heard of deer darting until today, right now. i was sure it had to do with hunting but i'm kind of glad it doesn't (at least.... not exactly). thanks for teaching me something haha.. i'm so bummed i couldn't see you all for homecoming... but i'm sure you all had a great time! i miss obu :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh. my. goodness.

    That picture of you sitting in the mule with the deer in your lap - not sure I could handle that. Props to you, brave brave soul!! :)

    Glad you enjoyed your first alumni weekend at OBU. A group of us girls made the trip up for tunes as well! Always love it!

    And isn't it amazing how much you grow in just the few summer months after graduation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aleasa- Im glad I could teach you something new! And yes, im sad I didn't see you at homecoming! you were greatly missed! Loveee youuu!

    Megan- It IS insane how much people change and grow up within a few short months! Its a good change though! :)

    ReplyDelete